Libya

Tripoli's water supply cut-off by Haftar forces

21 May 2019; DW: Libya's UN-backed government has blamed forces loyal to Khalifa Haftar for cutting off Tripoli's major water pipeline. A UN spokesperson said some Tripoli residents were already experiencing low water pressure.

Gunmen in Libya deliberately cut off the main water pipeline to Libya's besieged capital Tripoli, potentially affecting some 2 million people the United Nations said on Monday.

Libyan gov't condemns IS attack on southern oil field

TRIPOLI, May 18 (Xinhua): Libya's UN-backed government on Saturday condemned the terrorist attack carried out by Islamic State (IS) affiliates on a southern oil field, which killed two guards and kidnapped four others.

"The Presidential Council of the Government of National Accord condemns the attack that targeted the (government-owned) Zueitina Oil Company in Zalla town," the government said in a statement.

6 civilians reported killed in Tripoli attack: UN

UNITED NATIONS, May 16 (Xinhua): At least six civilians were reported killed and five more injured in an apparent airstrike in populated areas of the Libyan capital of Tripoli, Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, said on Thursday.

Citing humanitarian colleagues as a source, Dujarric said the casualties were victims of explosive weapons used in Qasr Bin Ghashir, Tripoli, during an airstrike on Tuesday.

UN condemns deadly IS attack in southern Libya

TRIPOLI, May 4 (Xinhua): The UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) on Saturday condemned the deadly attack carried out by Islamic State (IS) militants on an army training center in the south Libya's Sabha city.

"The UNSMIL strongly condemns the terrorist attack in Sabha, which was claimed by the IS in the Levant and resulted in a number of Libyan casualties. Perpetrators, organizers, financiers and sponsors of terrorist activities must be brought to justice," the mission said in a statement.

Heavy fighting in southern Tripoli displaces over 50,000 people

UNITED NATIONS, May 3 (Xinhua): Heavy fighting in southern Tripoli, including airstrikes and rocket barrages, has taken a toll on civilians and structures alike, forcing more than 50,000 people to leave their homes, a UN spokesman said on Friday.

"We continue to be concerned about the heavy fighting in southern Tripoli," said Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres. "There are reports of extensive use of airstrikes and rocket shelling causing more civilian casualties and destruction, and forcing thousands more civilians from their homes."

Shelling of civilian areas in Tripoli unacceptable: UN spokesman

UNITED NATIONS, April 26 (Xinhua) -- The rocket and mortar shelling of residential areas in Tripoli "is completely unacceptable by any measure," a UN spokesman said on Friday.

"The United Nations is gravely concerned about the continued reports of indiscriminate shelling of civilian areas in Tripoli," said Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.

Dujarric stressed the need to protect civilians and grant immediate, unconditional access for humanitarian partners.

Death toll of clashes in Libya's capital rises to 254

TRIPOLI, April 22 (Xinhua) -- A total of 254 people have been killed and 1,228 others injured in the fighting between the UN-backed Libyan government and the east-based army in and around the capital Tripoli so far, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Sunday.

"In the past week, WHO Libya specialized emergency medical teams in frontline hospitals handled 89 major and 63 surgeries. Our teams are bringing in additional help for these hospitals," WHO tweeted later Sunday.

India evacuates peacekeeping CRPF contingent from Libya

New Delhi, Apr 7 (PTI) India has evacuated its entire contingent of 15 CRPF personnel from Tripoli after the situation "suddenly worsened" in Libya, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said Sunday.

The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) contingent was deployed as peace keeping force in Tripoli.

"The situation in Libya has suddenly worsened. There is fighting in Tripoli. Indian Embassy in Tunisia @IndiainTunisia has evacuated the entire contingent of 15 CRPF personnel yesterday itself," Swaraj tweeted.

Libya: Clashes rage near Tripoli as UN ceasefire attempt fails

7 Apr 2019; DW: Intense fighting between pro-government forces and militias loyal to Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar continued late into Sunday despite attempts by the United Nations to secure a temporary cease-fire.

Haftar's forces launched a military offensive to capture the Libyan capital of Tripoli last week, threatening to send the conflict-ridden country into further chaos.

The latest:

US pulls forces from Libya amid fighting near capital

BENGHAZI, Libya (AP) — The United States said Sunday it has temporarily withdrawn some of its forces from Libya due to “security conditions on the ground,” as a Libyan military commander’s forces advanced toward the capital, Tripoli, clashing with rival militias.

A small contingent of American troops has been in Libya in recent years helping local forces combat Islamic State and al-Qaida militants, as well as protecting diplomatic facilities.

Subscribe to Libya