Yemen

Saudi-led warplanes pound Yemen rebels after pipeline attack

16 May 2019; AFP: Saudi-led coalition warplanes bombed Yemeni rebel targets including in the capital on Thursday following insurgent drone strikes on a key oil pipeline that Riyadh said were ordered by its arch-rival Tehran.

The new bombardment came after the UN envoy, who has been spearheading efforts to end more than four years of conflict in the Arab world's poorest country, warned it still faced the threat of plunging into all-out war.

Yemen's Houthis withdraw from Hodeida and other ports

11 May 2019; DW: Houthi rebels are withdrawing from three ports in line with a ceasefire deal that was agreed to in December. Diplomats hope that the move could pave the way for a peace agreement.

Yemen's Houthi rebels began pulling back from three ports on Saturday, the first steps on the ground since a ceasefire deal was agreed.

6 killed by bombardment in southern Yemen

ADEN, Yemen, April 27 (Xinhua) -- At least six Yemenis, including three children, were killed on Saturday in a bombardment that targeted their vehicle in the southern province of al-Dhalea, a security official told Xinhua.

The security source, who asked to remain anonymous, said that a car belonging to a citizen named Ali Maarshi was bombarded while traveling on a sub-road in Qatabah district, west of al-Dhalea, 245 km south of the country's capital Sanaa.

68,000 families displaced amid fighting in Yemen's Hajjah: UN

SANAA, April 25 (Xinhua) -- Ongoing fighting in Yemen's northwestern border province of Hajjah has resulted in 68,000 internally-displaced families since the beginning of this year, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in Yemen (UNOCHA) said on Thursday.

"Between mid-February and mid-March, an estimated 8,400 families were displaced from Kushar District as a result of clashes between Hajour tribesmen and the de-facto authorities (Houthi rebels)," the UN agency said.

Yemen parliament convenes for 1st time after 4 years of conflict

ADEN, Yemen, April 13 (Xinhua) -- Yemen's parliament convened on Saturday in the city of Seiyun, the second largest city in the southeastern province of Hadramout, for the first time since the outbreak of the devastating civil war in the impoverished Arab country in March 2015.

The parliament held its first meeting at the presidential palace in Seiyun city, with the presence of Yemeni President Abdu-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, Prime Minister Maeen Abdulmalik and delegates of Arab and foreign countries.

Yemen's rebels threaten to strike Riyadh, Abu Dhabi if Hodeidah attacked

SANAA, March 16 (Xinhua) -- Yemen's Houthi rebels on Saturday threatened to launch ballistic missile attacks on Riyadh and Abu Dhabi if coalition forces led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) attacked the Yemeni lifeline port city of Hodeidah.

"Our forces stand ready to response to any major attack on Hodeidah," the rebels' military spokesman Yahya Sariee said in a statement.

UN food agency revisits Yemen wheat silos after months of suspension

UNITED NATIONS, Feb. 26 (Xinhua) -- Representatives of the UN food agency briefly visited the Red Sea mills of Yemen on Tuesday but were unable to determine if the wheat in storage was all fit for feeding starving Yemenis, a UN spokesman said.

"A team from the World Food Program (WFP) visited the Red Sea mills," said Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for the UN secretary-general. "This visit was the first by WFP to these vital wheat stores since September of 2018."

Yemen's Houthi rebels agree to withdraw from Hodeidah after UN mediation

SANAA, Feb. 17 (Xinhua) -- Yemen's Houthi rebels on Sunday agreed to withdraw their fighters from the lifeline port city of Hodeidah under the Stockholm peace deal reached in December last year.

In a statement released by the rebel group, the Houthis said they will withdraw from the port city as the first step and facilitate access to the grain aid stored in the Red Sea Mills.

The move is based on a plan presented by Martin Griffiths, visiting UN Special Envoy to Yemen and Michael Anker Lollesgaard, head of the UN cease-fire monitor team in Hodeidah, they added.

76 Yemenis Killed During Breaches Of Hodeidah Cease-Fire

ADEN, Yemen, Feb 13 (NNN-SABA) – A total of 76 people were killed during the period of a cease-fire, brokered by the United Nations in Dec, 2018, according to local military observers.

The Houthi rebels controlling the strategic Red Sea port city of Hodeidah have committed 1,112 cases of breach, since the beginning of the UN-brokered cease-fire on Dec 18 last year to Feb 9, the military observers said.

“Those cease-fire breaches claimed the lives of 76 people, mostly civilians, and injured 492 others, some of them with critical wounds,” read the observers’ report.

Yemen govt, rebels meet aboard UN ship

03 Feb 2019; AFP: The head of the UN mission in Yemen launched talks between the government and Huthi rebels aboard a boat in the Red Sea on Sunday aimed at shoring up a ceasefire, a government official said.

Retired Dutch General Patrick Cammaert chaired the meeting aboard a UN vessel docked off the coast of the flashpoint city of Hodeida after the rebels refused to hold talks in government-held areas, the official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

Subscribe to Yemen