Oman

Oman to close land borders again to curb coronavirus

18 Jan 2021; MEMO: Oman will close its land borders for one week from Monday to curb the spread of the coronavirus, especially a more contagious variant, state news agency ONA said on Sunday, Reuters reports.

The measure will come into effect from 6 p.m. (1400 GMT) on Monday and can be extended for longer than the initial one week closure, ONA said, citing a decision by the Gulf state's coronavirus emergency committee.

Oman starts vaccinations with 1st batch of shots

Dubai, Dec 27 (AP-PTI) The Persian Gulf state of Oman has launched its COVID-19 inoculation campaign, with the sultanate's health minister receiving the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine.

State-run media reported that the first batch of 15,600 doses was flown in industrial freezers to Muscat International Airport last week to vaccinate a priority group of older adults, health care workers and those with underlying health conditions starting on Sunday.

Oman Mufti supports boycott of French products

28 Oct 2020; MEMO: The Grand Mufti of the Sultanate of Oman, Sheikh Ahmed Bin Hamad Al-Khalili, on Monday declared his full support for the boycott of French products following French President Emmanuel Macron’s offensive comments about Islam and its Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).

Sheikh Al-Khalili called on the Muslim nation to withdraw its investments from economic institutions run by “arrogant aggressors” and to work towards building fully independent global economies.

Oman cancels major project with UAE company

28 July 2020; MEMO: Oman has cancelled a major project with the United Arab Emirates worth billions of dollars, Arab sources have reported, highlighting the growing tension between the two countries. Oman’s new Sultan, Haitham Bin Tariq Al-Said, is said to have issued an order to reduce Abu Dhabi’s grip on his country’s affairs.

Sultan of Oman pardons prominent oppositionists, embassy in London arranges for their return

24 July 2020; MEMO: Omani sites and forums have reported news of an amnesty issued by Sultan Haitham Bin Tariq Al-Said for a number of political oppositionists residing in London and other Western capitals.

Sources indicated that the Sultanate’s embassy in the UK is making arrangements to ensure the oppositionists’ return to their countries, and to help them start a new life in Oman.

Oman Reports 1,117 New COVID-19 Cases, 21,071 In Total

MUSCAT, June 13 (NNN-ONA) – The Omani Ministry of Health, announced on Friday, 1,117 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number in the country to 21,071.

According to a statement, issued by the ministry, all new cases, including 470 Omanis, are related to community contact.

The statement also said, 866 patients of COVID-19 have recovered, bringing the total recoveries to 7,489.

Seven new deaths were reported, bringing the death toll to 96.

Oman Reports 811 New COVID-19 Cases, 9,820 In Total

MUSCAT, May 30 (NNN-ONA) – The Omani Ministry of Health announced on Friday, 811 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 9,820.

According to a statement issued by the ministry, all new cases, including 315 Omanis, are related to community contact.

The statement also said, the total recovered cases raised to 2,177 and the death toll remained 40.

The ministry called on people to observe the procedures for quarantine, avoid public places or places of worship, and ensure public hygiene.

Oman Calls On Tourist Groups To Leave Over COVID-19 Concerns

MUSCAT, Mar 19 (NNN-ONA) – The Omani Ministry of Tourism, Wednesday, called on all tourist delegations, to leave the country, as part of its precautions against the COVID-19 pandemic.

“The ministry calls upon travel and tourism companies, to provide advice to tourist groups, to leave and return to their home countries,” said a ministry statement.

Earlier in the day, the Ministry of Transport announced the suspension of all public transportation in Oman, including buses, ferries and taxis, starting today (Thursday).

Sultan Of Oman Orders Job Safety Fund

MUSCAT, Mar 4 (NNN-ONA) – The Sultan of Oman, Haitham bin Tariq, on Tuesday, instructed the government to take measures to set up a “job safety” fund.

He also asked the government to finance the fund with 10 million Omani riyals (26 million U.S. dollars), as a start for the establishment.

According to the royal instructions, a finance system for the fund will be developed through participation of private sector employers and workers.

Subscribe to Oman